Abbreviation for Dnepr hydroelectric station.
A hydroelectric station on the Dnepr River near Zaporozhie, that supplies power for the industrial centres of Dnepropetrovsk, Krivoi Rog, and Zaporozhie. More than half a mile long and 200 ft high, the dam raised the level of the Dnepr 123 ft. With the completion of the dam and the flooding of the rapids above it, the entire Dnepr became navigable.
The dam, at first called Dneprostoi, was built between 1927 and 1932 and was considered the magnificent achievement of the Stalin era. The dam and plant were partially destroyed by retreating Soviet troops during the German invasion of 1941 and then completely destroyed by the Germans as they withdrew in 1943. They were rebuilt between 1944 and 1949.